January 13, 2010

When Haiti Crumbled




I cried alongside the world from the outside
and inside, my heart mirrored the crumbling,
the grief and decay.


I cannot comprehend
disaster 
from my location in my home intact 
where my family sleeps
and my earth has not quaked beneath my feet
and no dust covers my arms
and no rubble sits at my ankles
and no debris surrounds me like a sea
drowning cultural history and family memory.


But I see anguish in the silent screams
the snapshots of broken faces
crumpled bodies and eyes
gazing back at me.


I think about Edwidge Danticat,
her friends and family. I feel I know them
personally, through the power of her stories.
Are they okay? And their friends?
And their friends? And their friends?


The concentric circles and intersecting
webs of our humanity
are the woven threads of our stories
that hold us together, entice us 
to give love, give aid, give care, give
our grieving hearts to one another
to hold onto for awhile and keep safe
while we tend to the daily matters
of surviving the latest tragedy.


I imagine the cauldron of hands that creates our world
holding the hearts of the people of Haiti in love
through energy, prayers, donations, labor,
so that grieving can happen and rebuilding can happen
and medical care can arrive and lives that have perished
can rest in peace and survivors can find peace...


My heart is crumbling
disappearing into the debris of Haiti
disappearing into the grief patterns of displacement
displacement displacement displacement
that has haunted Haiti’s people, Haiti’s soil
disappearing into dust and dispersing again
like so many seeds into the wind.


I cannot possibly comprehend
disaster
from my location
from my intact home
on stable soil
But my heart understands tragedy
My cell memories know displacement
My hands hold generations of grief


And my hands also hold stories of healing
woven by the heart webs of humanity


Haiti, I extend my hand
and hold your heart 
inside my heart
while you heal…


--Diana Tigerlily

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi sweetie,

What a beautiful expression of feelings felt by you, my beautiful daughter. You feel the pain of a country that is in such shambles. May God help heal the survivors. They are faced with so much suffering, as is the people who are trying to help. What an extreme and emotional caotic time for the people who have to rebuild their lives without the help of their loved ones who have died in the rubble.

I love you and your tender heart.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.