So easy and so hard
to be happy
So hard and so easy
to be sad
I haven’t written a poem in two days.
I’ve started two and finished none
One about colors, and one
asking if it’s okay
to be unapologetically happy
even when
world tragedy surrounds me
But now, today I’m sad
because my own heart
can only hold so much grief
even when
I’m one of the lucky ones
who has art and love to transform it
Happy amidst tragedy
Sad amidst love
What world am I living in
That everything is so ridiculously foggy
That a politician who approves
torture and endorses discrimination
wins an election in a so-called liberal state
What world am I living in
when what’s so clear in my heart
so heavy in my gut
is blurry and I can’t see through the fear
of everyone hurting and hurting everywhere
What world is this that says not everybody can love?
What world is this that says not everybody can love
fully? What world is this that says not everybody can love
with equal protections privileges access respect
and denies people their basic human rights to loving?
What world is this
that I’m living in
What world is this that says not everybody can heal?
What world is this that says not everybody can heal
fully? What world is this that says not everybody can heal
with equal protections privileges access respect
and denies people their basic human rights to healing?
What world is this?
What world is this
that I’m living in
That profits off tragedy
and patrols desperation
That trumpets stupidity
and controls full expression
Not my world
Not my world
I’m trying to create my own
where fear can disappear
and love can flourish
I’m trying to create a space
where I can participate
in global justice and personal freedom
and not have to separate
in order to feel safe.
--Diana Tigerlily

No comments:
Post a Comment