January 24, 2010

Everybody's Story

Vulnerability

I know I’m being truly vulnerable
When my heart begins to cry

And my voice begins to cry
a river of swollen words

And my breath is fragile as a leaf in autumn
floating on a layer of wind

and not falling
but traveling through the ethers

and touching the spirits
with the cry of vulnerability

that says
my heart is open

and I am willing
to risk hurt

in the name of honoring
the creative force that moves me

to be vulnerable
in order to love

The Storms Arrive

The storms arrive
with lightning infused emotions,
the electric taste of charged air
and the rumble of thunder

The hard knots tighten in my stomach,
a physical manifestation
of the tangled cords
the tangled lives
emotional and energetic
intersecting on my body

My heart is a cloaked fist
a choked raw twist
of flesh and blood

When my heart and gut hurt like this
things are not as they should be

Honesty

I'm learning new things 
about my heart

and what it needs
in order to stay open

I need to speak fully
all the weight of emotion
I hold in my heart
I need to speak it
honestly

even if it hurts to say it
it hurts worse to hide it
to cloak it in a closed fist

My heart opens
when I'm honest
about what I'm feeling

Difficult Possibility

I don’t know how to make everybody happy

Perhaps it’s not my responsibility
Perhaps it’s an impossibility

But I feel responsible
for the people I love
I feel accountable
for my capacity to love.

Love and hate
break down easily for me
I love love
I hate knowing people are hurting

I have infinite love
to give
and I want to give it

For all of its abundance and creative power,
why is love so difficult?

I’m trying to be a good person in the world
keeping my heart open and living in love

but I guess my way of being
is harder to understand than I realized
and somehow causes the very hurting
that I’ve always believed love healed

Because I don’t know what else to do
I’m going to keep loving
with an open heart
because I cannot stop believing
in the difficult possibilities
of love
to enact healing and end hurting,
to enable honesty and engage hearts

I write this
in the name of
vulnerable resistance

--Diana Tigerlily

2 comments:

kate said...

it seems like you and i are having similar emotional experiences lately. i am so glad you are able to write and share your work again!

Diana Tigerlily said...

thanks, kate! i'm glad it's resonating...