I do not fall in love
easily. I’m selective
as the songbird in plentiful summer
But I do fall in love
intensively. I’m dramatic
as a sweltering sunset plunging
its neon heart into the sea
in hemispheric displays of passion
streaking colors of broken heat
across the breathing sky
Fast as the falling sun I fall
below the horizon and drown
in a love sickness feverish
as Chaucerian courtship
I swoon and love swoons before me a desert mirage in wavy heat
where moons swallow the night and loons laugh at my lunacy
I do not fall in love
randomly. But I do
fall in love surprisingly
often. Everyday
I fall in love
and when I fall in love
I find myself surprised
at how in love I am
and how surprised I am
that still I’m falling.
How far does the sun fall
when it falls into the sea?
How deep can the sea possibly be
that still I find myself falling?
One night
long ago
I dreamed that I was falling
through the constellations
falling through the stars
falling through space
falling freely
falling down and down
ecstatically
for infinity
in safety
I do not need to feel I’m falling dangerously
The sun always rises no matter how far it falls
and I do not fall in love
intentionally, but am drawn
energetically
to the body's song
the heart's long sigh
shine and depth of eyes
all the magnetism that makes stars collide
and suns plunge into the sea
pulses in my heart
and pulls me into love
and everyday I’m falling
--Diana Tigerlily

No comments:
Post a Comment