March 20, 2008

I Choose to Be a Freak










I choose to be a freak, I say.
I choose to be a lunatic!

I choose to be a freak
if normalcy is conformity,
hypocrisy, toxicity and injustice.

I choose to be a freak
if normalcy is
capitalist-hegemonic-patriarchal heteronormativity,
mainstream misogyny, media hyperbole

If normalcy is
sexism, racism, classism, age-ism,
violence, oppression, abuse, depression,
I choose to be a freak!

I choose to be a freak!
If normalcy is
unlabeled frankenfoods, d.u. munitions,
pus in cow’s milk, vaccinations,
chemical soil, radioactive water,
terminator seed, rain forest depletion,

I choose to be a freak
if normalcy is
hierarchical binarisms,
extreme fundamentalisms,
ethnocentric neoconservatisms, colonization, imperialism,
suppress-the-symptoms health care systems,
corporate welfare, global warfare, legalized torture, privatized prisons

I choose to be a freak
I choose to be a freak!
I choose to be a freak, I say,

if the power of my uterus
causes the establishment distress,
if queer love can be considered a threat,
if exposing soft breasts can be cause for arrest
while hard-ons for war receive funding,

I choose to be a freak
if powerful women can be branded ‘bitches,’
if wise women can be branded ‘witches,’
if founding fathers can sustain their riches
through plutocracy and slavery and hatred

I choose to be a freak, I say,
I choose to be a lunatic.

--written by Diana Tigerlily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh Diana, I LOVE this one. I can totally picture you reciting it, spoken-word style.