September 23, 2011

To Live With Words





                                                                       I have nearly forgotten
    
                                                                                what it means

                                                                            to live with words.

            You may wonder what I mean--
            we live with words
            everyday,
            immersed in words,
            submerged in streaming feeds of words,
            status updates, breaking news, soundbytes, texts, tweets

                   Yes
                   This is what I mean.
            Swept into the surge of this steady stream
            I have nearly forgotten
            what it means
            
            to experience the slow

                                           unfurling

                                                 of words

                               the soft uncurling

                         of the poem
                                                                                   
                                   the breath of an image tumbling

                                                        from a break in the line
         
                                                    and spilling into form


                              out of the shape of rain 

                                        in sunlight 

                     slanting the goldenrod and grasses
     
                            like honey smoothing from the spoon
                                    
                                 fresh as morning, savored

                                 
                           like a snow day, or a Saturday,

                          a slow kiss and a game of chess


                    The slow taste of words,

                    the growing shape of words,

                    thought-forms made manifest


                           out of the clutched fist

                                       tight as fern’s fiddlehead

                                         
                                    Then the open palm 

                                             The story seeds 

                                                      The tender fronds 

                                                                 The quiet gift

                                                           of syllables, 

                                                  scented illustrations 

                                              painted with the tongue.


                    I have nearly forgotten

                          what it means

                       to live with words

--Diana Tigerlily 
  Autumn Equinox, 2011

No comments: